Backpacks are generally made of Polyester and Nylon.
They are used for their durability.
Although they are highly used and loved, they are not environmentally friendly. They are made of Fossil Fuels, Non-Renewable resources, meaning we cannot keep making fossil fuels, we are simply using them up.
The negative impacts of Polyester and Nylon include:
- non-renewable resource
- no local sources available
- long line of processing
- often involves use of carcinogenic chemicals such as benzene, toluene,arsenic, and heavy metals including antimony
- allergy-provoking dyes and carriers are added
- energy and water intensive
- no recycling infrastructure